A Deep History in Hats
Established in 1894 by Sam H. Meyer
In 1937, Meyer The Hatter moved to a new location down the block at 136 St. Charles Avenue.
Andrew's son, Sam Meyer II, started helping his dad in the store as a teenager during the 1940s. After serving their country in the Army Air Corps during World War II, both Sam and his brother, William, started working full-time at Meyer The Hatter with their father Andrew. They started selling Borsalino hats after the war and took on the Dobbs and Kangol lines in the 1950s.
In 1961, the store moved to a much larger building at 120 St. Charles Avenue, its present location. Here the store has show windows out front, a selling floor, two upper floors for stock, and a balcony for watching Mardi Gras parades.